Multimeans Media International is an incorporated research publisher which also offers research support and media services. Further information about our work can be found across our websites, including our about us page.
The company values our relationship with you and recognises the importance of respecting and protecting your personal information and privacy.
This policy (together with any other resources referred to in it) set out the basis on which any personal information you provide to us (or data we collect about you from other sources) will be processed (meaning collected, stored, and otherwise used) by us.
Collection of Your Information
This site is designed to facilitate the manuscript submission and peer review process as well as to keep readers and authors up-to-date. It collects Personally Identifiable Information ("PII") such as name, e-mail address, telephone number, postal address, organisational affiliation, areas of expertise, IP address, and system usage. This PII information is collected to secure the site, ensure that there are no conflicts-of-interest during the peer review process, address ethics violations, facilitate communications regarding manuscript submissions and peer reviews, and to track/report on submissions and system usage. The PII information may be shared with the editors, editorial staff, author support staff and others that participate in the peer review process. If your manuscript submission is accepted for publication, PII information is also shared with external vendors such as publishers, printers, and hosting companies to facilitate the publication process. PII information used in relationship to a manuscript submission or peer review is stored indefinitely (or as otherwise specified by the journal's data retention policy) in order to address future ethics concerns or violations. By proceeding further, you warrant that you have permission to provide PII information related to any co-authors and that we may store and use your/their PII information with respect to updates, manuscript submissions and peer reviews.
How we collect your personal information
Information you provide to us – you may provide us with information when you are:
- accessing our websites. This includes information that you provide when you register to use any of our websites, products or services, subscribe to one of our services, search for a product, place an order, participate in a discussion group, request a complimentary copy of a journal, make an application for employment or report a problem with our site or request content or other information from us.
- corresponding with us by post, telephone, email or otherwise.
The information you give us may include your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, academic institution, affiliation, job title, or subject specialism.
Information we collect about you – we may also process certain personal information about you which you have not provided to us yourself.
In limited circumstances, we may collect data that you have made available in the public domain, such as your contact details, research interests, courses that you teach and the institution at which you are based. When we do this, we carefully consider whether to do so is in your interest and any impact on your rights, and we will inform you as soon as practically possible about our use of your data and your right to object to these uses and how to unsubscribe from any communications from us.
Information from other sources – we also work with third parties and may receive information about you from them.
We work with business partners, such as web hosting providers, email service providers, list brokers and other third parties, to deliver our products, services and communications, and they may provide us with additional information about you. This could include details of content that you have viewed or requested through the Multimeans Media International platforms and other websites, or details of which email communications from us you viewed or clicked.
We may obtain your personal details as a result of a journal transfer or business acquisition, or from societies and associations that we work with.
Cookies – When you visit our websites we may automatically collect technical information from your computer or other device.
The information we may collect about you in this way may include, without limitation, the Internet Protocol (IP) address used, your browser type and version, the type of device used, and time zone setting. We may also collect information about each visit you make to our website, including which website you were on immediately before you navigated to our sites, and how you have progressed through and from our sites – as well as content you have searched for or viewed on our sites.
Google User ID – We use the Google User ID feature to associate individual user visits/website sessions from different devices with a unique user ID. This data is used in accordance with Google’s policies, and we do not transmit personally identifiable information to Google. We may use the Google User ID feature to stitch together data from unauthenticated sessions and authenticated sessions, and also combine this with data in our contact database. We use this data to understand Multimeans Media International better, and to serve the needs of users through tailored communications. You can opt-out of Google Analytics’ tracking entirely by using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on developed by Google, available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
If you opt-out, you may receive marketing or advertising from us that is not as tailored as it otherwise would have been.
How we use your information (and the lawful bases for that processing)
We use information held about you in the following ways:
To deliver our products and services to you – we may use your personal information to:
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us (as is necessary for the performance of those contracts);
- notify you about changes to our service (as is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party and/or as is necessary for our legitimate interests); and
- allow you to access restricted areas of our websites, when you choose to do so (which may rely on your consent for the processing of your personal information which is necessary for giving you access to those restricted areas).
To improve the effectiveness of our products, services and marketing communications – we may use your personal information (in each case as is necessary for our legitimate interests or exceptionally where you have given your consent) to:
- administer our websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- improve our websites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device;
- keep our websites safe and secure;
- measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we deliver to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- enter co-marketing agreements and share contact information with third parties who sell similar goods and services;
- provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about, provided that you have not told us that you do not wish to receive this information (as is necessary for our legitimate interests);
- make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that we believe may interest you, based on your previous transactions, behaviour, subject interests and other information that we may hold about you and your institution or organization; and
- perform any Business Purpose as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), if applicable.
References to our "legitimate interests" in this policy include our commercial interests in operating our business (and the business of Multimeans Media International more generally) in an efficient and sustainable manner, in accordance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Your marketing preferences
If you would like to update your details, including details of how you prefer to be contacted for marketing purposes, you can do this by:
Changing your mailing preferences on your profile by visiting your profile
Sending an email to email@example.com and indicating your new preferences
If you wish to unsubscribe from marketing emails from us you can do so via this unsubscribe form. Please note that this will not affect any Multimeans Media International Journals alerts sent from our journals website. These can be managed separately on your account on the journal platform.
If you decide to change your marketing preferences you may still be contacted by Multimeans Media International in relation to other business activities or transactions.
Sharing information with third parties
Multimeans Media International Publishing may share your personal information with our business partners who are providing a service to us, for example:
- a co-marketing agreement with a third-party vendor;
- a platform for a Multimeans Media International web-based product;
- a provider of web analytics services; or
- for the purposes of fulfilling an order that you have placed with us, delivering a product or otherwise carrying out a contract that we have with you.
In addition, where the products or services that you have accessed via MULTIMEANS MEDIA INTERNATIONAL are provided by us on behalf of a third party such as an academic society or association, we may share your details with them, unless you have asked us not to do so.
We may also transfer personal data of article authors, editor and board members and subscribers to our journals in the event that a journal transfers to another publisher (and including where, for example, your personal information is included on a marketing list which is transferred as a significant asset in a business sale or asset sale).
If you register for a sponsored event, then we may share your data with event sponsors, where we have informed you that we will do this at the point at which you register for the event.
How long do we keep your information?
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to finalise any transaction with you.
Your rights in respect of your personal information
You have the following rights:
- to obtain access to, and copies of, the personal information that we hold about you;
- to require us to correct the personal information we hold about you if it is incorrect;
- to require us to erase your personal information;
- to require us to restrict our data processing activities;
- where our processing is based on your consent, the right to withdraw that consent (without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal);
- where the processing is carried out by automated means, to receive from us the personal information we hold about you which you have provided to us, in a reasonable format specified by you (including for the purpose of you transmitting that personal information to another data controller);
- to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights; and
- to require us not to send you marketing communications;
Please note that these rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
Information for UK/ EU Citizens
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the data controller is MULTIMEANS MEDIA INTERNATIONAL.
Transfer outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
Multimeans Media International is an international research publisher and our systems and management team are integrated throughout the organisation. Your personal information will be accessible to Multimeans Media International employees and business partner service providers based outside the EEA. We have an agreement in place across the organisation to safeguard your personal information and to ensure the same high standards of data protection exist across Multimeans Media International Publishing. Where we use third parties to process information on our behalf we will ensure that there are the necessary agreements in place to provide the same standards that we have at Multimeans Media International – and incorporating the European Commission approved model clauses where necessary to provide a lawful basis for the transfer of personal information outside the EEA.
If you have any comments, questions or concerns about anything you have read on this page or you are concerned how your personal information has been handled by Multimeans Media International, you can contact us using the following details: firstname.lastname@example.org
If we make changes to this policy we will detail them on this page. If it is appropriate we may provide you with details by email; we suggest that you regularly visit this page to see any changes or updates to this policy.
This policy was last updated in October 2021.